About Me

My photo
I am a wife, mama and grandmama getting through life by hanging on to a needle and thread.

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Warning: Curves Ahead

I am the first one to admit that I am not a quilter...I am a piecer. I find the whole process of quilting very intimidating whether it be by hand or machine. I think that is because most quilt patterns say "quilt as desired" and leave it at that with no further explanation. Just how do you figure out what motif or design best suits the quilt top??? I don't have a clue, so normally I play it safe and do straight line quilting, echo quilting or stitch in the ditch. All of those quilting designs are very effective, but are also a little on the boring side. Lately I've been working to get past my fear of quilting with curves and trying some different quilting techniques here and there. Yesterday I worked up some serious curvy courage and quilted this strip pieced table runner with a pumpkin seed motif. I am very pleased with how it turned out, so much so that I'm not sure I want to give it up to the friend it was made for (but I will). I guess I am going to have to make one for myself and quilt some more curves!

8 comments:

Anya said...

Very nice job, Susan! See, it's not so hard...

Jean said...

Very nice, did you draw it on first?

AverettLadyNana said...

Love that quilting pattern you used. Like Jean I want to know if you drew it on? Was it a stencil type thing, or did you freehand it? Regardless, I love it!

Mary L. said...

Love it!

Deb said...

Yah Susan, face the fear headon, well done you. Looks great.

IHaveANotion ~ Kelly Jackson said...

Susan,
I feel the same way you do. That is why my fish applique is not done!!! I love what you did and it turned out so nice. When I was over getting supplies yesterday I saw something called ,"Quilting Made Easy" Adhesive Edge Patterns for Continuous Machine Quilting. I've never seen that before. I think I will get some and try it.
Kelly
http://IHaveA-Notion.blogspot.com

Barb said...

Nice job Susan, you did very well. No need to fear the curves anymore! I often think about the words *quilter* or *piecer*...I feel like you I should use the word piecer but most people don't understand the difference! You are now a piecer and a quilter, congrats to you!

Jocelyn said...

Great quilting! I am with you, I am not a great "quilter" but I love the piecing. It is like putting a big puzzle together. But I have so many UFO projects waiting to be quilted. I like your idea of using the Glad product. I am going to give it a try! Thanks for sharing.

Blog Archive