About Me

My photo
I am a wife, mama and grandmama getting through life by hanging on to a needle and thread.

Friday, April 17, 2009

Bloggers Quilt Festival

There were a lot of firsts for me in this sampler quilt and I think that is what makes it one of my favorite quilts. The quilt started out as a BOM held by Needles Quilt Shop a few years ago. Up until this quilt I had only made crib quilts and smaller projects, so I was a bit intimidated by the idea of making a full size quilt. The owners of the shop convinced me that making one block a month would be the easiest way to complete a bed size quilt and it did work out very well. The pattern is from the Eleanor Burns book Underground Railroad Sampler and I really enjoyed learning the Quilt In A Day piecing methods and working with the Civil War reproduction fabrics. After the top was completed I knew that there was no way that I would be able to do the quilting on such a large quilt myself, so I decided to have it professionally quilted by a local longarm artist...another first. I remember having a dream (nightmare?) shortly after dropping the top to be quilted that when it was put on the frame it was so out of square and the borders were so wavy that it couldn't be quilted! Do you think I was a little anxious about the quality of my work? My fears were totally unfounded though and the quilt and quilting came out beautifully!

Thanks to Amy for organizing this virtual quilt show! Be sure to visit Park City Girl for a complete list of all the participants.

21 comments:

rachel griffith said...

oh i LOVE this quilt.
and i'm not normally a red, white & blue kind of gal.
:D

Beth said...

This is beautiful! You did an outstanding job! Love the colours and all the different blocks :)

Anya said...

You did a great job on that one, Susan.

Zonnah said...

I love the colors in this quilt. And you did great for having many firsts with it :)

Jean said...

Very beautiful quilt...fun reading about everyone's favorites!

Mary L. said...

Don't you just love samplers? I do. It's a great quilt.

Also wanted to say I use Glad Press 'n Seal sometimes too. Works great, doesn't it?

Scrappy quilter said...

I love it and the colors come together so well. Great job!!

Anonymous said...

Love your sampler. You did a great job.

stitchinpenny said...

A sampler full of beautiful techniques and colors. Great.

Unknown said...

Beautiful sampler! Glad you got all those firsts out of the way at once :) Thanks for sharing!

Quilt Rat said...

Looks wonderful......we will always remember those "firsts"
Enjoy the festival

Micki said...

I posted a sampler too...I love them! You did a wonderful job on it!
Micki

Susan said...

great looking quilt and I love the colors. BTW thanks for stopping by my blog as well.I was born and raised in PA southwestern but PA will always be home
hugs
Susan E As well. lol

Alyson said...

I love the red! Beautiful quilt! The backing fabric is perfect. :)

Susan said...

A beautiful sampler, Susan. I have a quilt in with a longarm and this is my first time. I had the same thoughts about it not being square or whatever. Hopefully mine will come back as nice as yours.

Janet Brady said...

I recognized the quilt as soon as I saw it. I have the pattern book but never made it. You did a fabulous job! Don't be afraid to keep challenging yourself.

Coloradolady said...

What a wonderful quilt. The design shows a lot of work went into making this. Very nice.

Ariane said...

A beautiful quilt. Great Job!!!

Janet Hartje said...

Very nice quilt. Isn't this fun to read everyones stories about their favorite quilt.

Miri said...

Great red, white and blue sampler! Lovely quilting too!

Sequana said...

Isn't it sad what our fears do to our confidence? But I totally understand it; I'm the same.

This is a great sampler and you were smart to have it quilted by someone else. Now you can't see every little place you think you messed up. *S*

Blog Archive