About Me

My photo
I am a wife, mama and grandmama getting through life by hanging on to a needle and thread.

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Learning To Meander

I decided last night that I couldn't wait to finish a top before I tried out my new machine, so I loaded some flannel on the frame and started stitching! Keep in mind, that up until just a few months ago, I had only quilted with straight line stitching and meandering wasn't even in my vocabulary. There are a few rough spots at the top where I first started, but I had a pretty good rhythm down by the time I finished. I used white flannel instead of batting and then stitched 1" in all the way around and clipped the edges to make a "ragged binding". I think this practice piece will make a nice cuddly quilt for Project Linus!

15 comments:

Mary L. said...

Looks good to me! You'll be a pro before you know it!

Lisa at Sun Naturals said...

Looks great! I love the snipping of the binding idea. Hadn't seen that one yet.

Jocelyn said...

woo-hoo, let the fun begin :-)

Anya said...

Looking good...I expect feathers next time :)

Rene' said...

You are off to a great start...I'll bet you will have a lot of fun with this new toy!!!

P.S. Thanks for offering to let me copy your Project Linus button. However, I could not figure out how to copy a button/link without a code. I'll try again.

Anonymous said...

Well done Susan. I only did a tiny project with quilted curves and boy was it hard for me! I made so many mistakes. I think what you have done is excellent. I like your fringe edging too. A lovely change from a bound edge and lovely for a child's exploring fingers. I was a satin ribbon rubber as a baby as that is what my cot blankets were trimmed with. My mother had to replace the ribbon on some where I had worn it away!

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Perfect project to practice on - wonderful job!

Jackie's Stitches said...

You did a wonderful job! I cannot believe that is a first attempt. Congratulations!

Vivian said...

Practice, practice, practice -- and before long, you'll be looking for new designs to try. But I see you already know about the "365 Days of FM Quilting Designs" blog. Great ideas there.
Aren't new toys fun?

Mrs Quilty said...

Your stitching looks wonderful!! Great job!

marlene@ByTheSeam said...

It looks good to me too. Can't see a problem with it. Glad you had some practice on it and it will make a really nice Linus quilt for sure.

Pokey said...

Isn't it fun? I found it so much easier on the frame, than on my regular machine. Good job! pokey

Lori said...

I agree that it wil make a great charity quilt. How fun to be able to start practicing!!! Looks good so far!

IHaveANotion ~ Kelly Jackson said...

I think it looks great. I tried some machine quilting in Houston. It is so much fun. I need lots of practice. I think I'll start with paracticing on trash bags first....I would be embarrased to send mine to any project....except the trash project.

Smiles,
Kelly

Jean said...

Great job!!! Isn't this going to be so much fun???

Blog Archive