About Me

My photo
I am a wife, mama and grandmama getting through life by hanging on to a needle and thread.

Saturday, October 24, 2009

Another Kind Of Selvage

I think I need professional help. Last week I trimmed the selvage edges off of a yard of fleece and found that I just could not bring myself to throw them away...they are selvages after all! I have no idea how I would use these selvages. I would imagine that they could be stitched together just like cotton selvages for a neat effect. They could also be braided or crocheted into a rug. Fleece selvages also tend to roll a bit, so maybe they could be stitched into something like the wrapped fabric bowls only without the clothesline. It seems like there could be a lot of uses for fleece selvages! Do I really need another tote full of scraps taking up space? Do I really need another project? Should I call a therapist? Maybe I should just throw them away after all!

10 comments:

Rene' said...

No!!!!! Don't throw them away!!! There are so many fun selvage projects you could use them for. If you think you need therapy, then there are plenty of us that would have to join you ;-))

jovaliquilts said...

I had a bunch of those and someone suggested knitting with them. I just couldn't get into it, though. Good luck and please share if you come up with an idea!

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

I'm sure you are not the only one having those thoughts Susan! I'm sure we'll see something you come up with soon for those selvages!

Barb said...

They look just so snuggly to toss out...I am sure you will come up with a **great** plan for using them! Have a wonderful weekend, we are having lots of rain and small stream flooding in my part of PA!

julia said...

If you need a therapist then all of us other sewists do too. We are all a bit obsessed, I think!

Jocelyn said...

I have the selvage bug too! I did not have many selvages for a long time, but recently as I have been doing a little bot more sewing, the selvages are adding up. So many people are finding creative ways to use them :-)

Janet said...

I can't bring myself to cut off the selvages especially if I have to take a bit of fabric with it. I'll just enjoy what others do with them. If you come up with something, let us know.

Jean said...

Call the therapist...you don't have time for more selvages, you need to quilt!

Jackie's Stitches said...

No need to throw them away or call a therapist! If collecting selvages is your "vice", you're in good shape!

Anonymous said...

I have knit with strips of fleece that I cut from odd shaped pieces. Just cut around and around whatever shape you have...even the wider bits at the corners sort of work into this yarn. But then when you go to knit, it does make a very thick scarf or hat...VERY. Easy to work with, goes up quickly, and any design on the fabric becomes quite abstract. But one does ask oneself, "Why did I bother?" I think your duster is a better idea.

Blog Archive