About Me

My photo
I am a wife, mama and grandmama getting through life by hanging on to a needle and thread.

Monday, May 24, 2010

A Special Pillowcase

When I joined the APQ - 1 Million Pillowcase Challenge back in March it never occurred to me that I might actually be making a pillowcase for one of my own family members. Unfortunately my husband's 95 year-old aunt suffered a brain hemorrhage after a fall last week and is now in a nursing home receiving hospice care. She is in a very nice private room, but it's still a nursing home and quite sterile looking, so we have been trying to brighten her room a bit. She has a lovely crocheted afghan on her bed that was donated by a local charity group, so I thought that I would make a matching pillowcase to help brighten her bed even more. It only takes a yard of fabric and a few minutes of your time to make a pillowcase. It seems like such a small insignificant thing, but sometimes the smallest thing can make the biggest difference in a person's day.

7 comments:

Diane said...

The pillowcase is beautiful. hugs and prayers for your aunt.

marlene@ByTheSeam said...

So sorry to hear about your husband's Aunt. The pillow case is lovely and I know what you mean about those sterile rooms.

Deb said...

Thats really sad news Susan.The pillowcase is beautiful and will be special to your Aunt and will definitely make the room more personable.
Hugs Deb

Pat said...

That is very pretty and I'm sure it has a calming effect on anyone who is in that room. Prayers for your husband's aunt.

Barb said...

What a sweet gift, I am sure it has brightened the room! I know it is difficult to see our loved ones in the setting, but the touch of your love in the pillowcase will help ease the stress that made the needed change for your aunt! Prayers coming your way!

Jackie's Stitches said...

I made my first pillowcase this weekend and donated it to the Million Pillowcase Challenge. I was happy to do it and I hope it brightens the day of the person that gets it. It's all about brightening their day.

andsewon said...

Sorry about your Aunt. What a pretty cheerful case which I am sure will add that to her bed !
Lola

Blog Archive