About Me

My photo
I am a wife, mama and grandmama getting through life by hanging on to a needle and thread.

Thursday, March 4, 2010

Getting Into The Pool

I have never been one to jump right into the pool without dipping my toes in first, then I sit on the edge for awhile and then slowly, ever so slowly, I work my way into the water. I am no different when it comes to quilting. I've only done a simple meander since I got my new machine and frame back in the fall. Now it's time to move in a little deeper and try something new. I've been practicing a loopy meander on my whiteboard and finally got to the point where I felt comfortable enough to try it on a quilt. Last night I loaded the Quick Strippie on the frame and jumped in! Ok, I admit it was the shallow end, but progress is progress!

12 comments:

Julia said...

oh I wish I was more like you! I've always been one to dive in head first off the high dive, only to be sorry when I hit the water too hard and knock the air out of my lungs and have to be pulled out!! I need to take my time and do things more carefully! I tend to mess up more than not! I really like the fabric you chose for this quilt. My grandson would love it!

Diane said...

looks great...you should jump in to the water more often. I'll bet you'll be surpised how fast your confidence will grow when you work on the machine, don't be scared. Worst thing that will happen is you'll have to do a bit of unsewing but I'll bet that won't happen as much as you might think.

Joyful Quilter said...

Your loops look great, very consistent size. That's where I have problems...I go from little loops to BIG loops, too close loops to too far away loops..I guess that is the practice part.

I did get a white board, it has been fun playing with different designs on it.

Barb said...

love the quilt

andsewon said...

I am lov'n them loops!!! You go you adventuresome gal you...;-)
Must say I can't do that so I am in awe!!!

Hugs,
Lola

Anonymous said...

Well done Susan for being brave with your twirly quilting. I'm still nervous of it. The quilt looks great.

jovaliquilts said...

Congrats, it looks great! And those loops make such a nice foil to the stripes, perfect.

Jackie's Stitches said...

I'm not a big jumper either. I like to think about it a while and maybe read up on it a bit most of the time. Sometimes I tell myself "Just Do It". I do try and push myself a bit in some way with each project.

Your loops look really good. I struggle with getting them to go in different directions and looking more random.

Jean said...

looks good, I like to loop de loop!

Pokey said...

Looks good. Slow progress is progress, just the same! Before you know it, you'll be in the deep end!
:-} pokey

Rafael's Mum said...

It looks great!! nobody would guess you were worried about it. fantastic even stitches and loops. i dove straight in and am still struggling so a big well done!

Angie said...

I am taking the plunge this weekend to learn free motion quilting. I have been practicing on the whiteboard too!

Blog Archive