About Me

My photo
I am a wife, mama and grandmama getting through life by hanging on to a needle and thread.

Friday, May 31, 2013

Mystery Solved

I got some great advice for how to fix the problems with my Juki, so I changed the needle, gave it a good top to bottom cleaning, and checked all the contacts and connections.  Yesterday I loaded a small charity quilt to see if the cleaning made any kind of difference.  It quilted beautifully without a single skipped stitch, BUT as I was quilting the second to the last row a small metal piece dropped out of the machine onto the quilt!  I was focusing on the quilt, so I really didn't notice where the piece came from and I couldn't see any place inside the machine that seemed to be missing a piece, but it obviously came from the machine somewhere.  I sent a few pictures to my friend, Kathy, who has the same machine, asking if she had any idea where the piece may have come from.  She emailed me right back with the answer...it broke off of the hopping foot!  Apparently this piece makes the foot hop as the needle raises, so there's a good chance that  
this little bugger has been the culprit of my quilting problems.  Kathy even offered her hopping foot to me because she doesn't use hers!  Thank heaven for good friends in quilty places!

7 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I have that foot but have not used it yet as I am still very new to my machine - I will keep this in mind.

Needled Mom said...

Oh wow!!! That is interesting. Good thing you didn't hit it with your needle.

Brenda said...

musts be metal fatigue. I have two hopping foots for my Juki. do you?

Jean said...

I'm glad you figured out what was wrong. Did it break off, or just come loose. It's hard to tell from the picture.

Michelle said...

I'm not sure if that was your problem or not. I have the original hopping foot to my Juki, and the wire that makes it hop broke off a long time ago. Mine doesn't hop at all, but still works ok. I'm glad you got your quilt finished!

Jean(ie) said...

That makes sense to me. Hope you get a new one soon so you can get back to hopping around ;P

MamaT said...

Maybe the cleaning helped, too. It never hurts! But big chunks of metal in places they're not supposed to be COULD hurt! Glad you're back in business!

Blog Archive