About Me

My photo
I am a wife, mama and grandmama getting through life by hanging on to a needle and thread.

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Chocolate Lava Cake

Mmmm...chocolate lava cake!  It's the perfect Valentine's Day dessert, but do yourself a favor and line the bottom of your oven with extra foil in case the cake goes all Mt. Vesuvius on you while it's still in the oven (and even if it does erupt and makes a burned on chocolate mess, it's still worth the effort)!

Chocolate Lava Cake

1 cup flour
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons baking cocoa
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup baking cocoa
1 3/4 cups hottest tap water
 

Mix flour, granulated sugar, 2 tablespoons cocoa, the baking powder and salt in ungreased square pan, 9x9x2 inches. Mix in milk, oil and vanilla with fork until smooth. Spread in pan.

Sprinkle brown sugar and 1/4 cup cocoa over batter. Pour water over batter.

Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes or until top is dry.

Let stand for at least 15 minutes and spoon warm cake into dessert dishes. Top with ice cream, if desired. Spoon sauce from pan onto each serving. 

7 comments:

Karyn said...

Ohhh Susan, look at that beauty, and of course I'm thinking the drippings would be perfect on ice cream...lol
Thanks for the recipe :)
Hugs
Ma

Needled Mom said...

Oh yum!!! That is one of my chocolate favorites with a big dollop of vanilla ice cream.

Gypsy Quilter said...

Ohhh yummm! Dolly and I will be right over. We love cake for breakfast.

Terry said...

I've been wanting to make this for a while now. I think tonight may be the night! Thanks for sharing the recipe! :0)

Janet said...

I suspect you'll be using a bigger pan next time, lol.

Cheryl said...

This sounds and looks just like Mom's Hot Fudge Pudding recipe ,I have always loved this cake,I guess someone else changed the name of it as it is a very old recipe.
Maybe I will make this soon to!
Very Good !

Rene' said...

Thanks for the recipe Susan. Hope you had a wonderful Valentine's Day!

Blog Archive