About Me

My photo
I am a wife, mama and grandmama getting through life by hanging on to a needle and thread.

Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Dyed And Died

My #1 daughter-in-law has found that she loves wool felt applique, so we have been searching the thrift stores for wool skirts to recycle into penny rugs and candle mats.  I was telling her how easy it is to dye wool with koolaid, so we planned an evening to dye with all the grandgirls while the men folk watched football.  There were six of us dyeing felt pieces and heat setting them in the microwave.  Mixing and blending, we wanted to make all the colors we could imagine! The only thing we didn't take into consideration was giving the microwave a chance to cool off in-between batches.  Yep, you guessed it...the microwave overheated and died!  Unfortunately, the frugal hand dyed wool turned out to be darned expensive once the cost of a new microwave was figured in, but she still ended up with some very pretty wool felt!


Gene Black said...

I am glad you shared this. I never considered that the microwave could overheat. So far I have only done small batches at a time. At least now I know it is a risk if I decide to do bulk.

Needled Mom said...

Oh no!!! The results are beautiful.

Dee W said...

But microwaves have gotten so inexpensive these days, so it's not like when we first bought them. Sometimes there are justifiable casualties!

Blog Archive