About Me

My photo
I am a wife, mama and grandmama getting through life by hanging on to a needle and thread.

Thursday, October 2, 2008

Do You Selvage?

I discovered Karen Griska's Selvage Blog awhile ago and my life hasn't been the same since! I never used to cut the selvages off of my fabric before cutting it...I would just trim the little end pieces as I cut, but now I make sure to cut the selvage in one long piece first and rather than tossing it in the trash, I fold it and add it to a basket of other colorful selvage strips. Who knew that there were so many things to make with selvages and why did it take me so long to realize that I was wasting valuable fabric every time I tossed a selvage into the garbage?
Recently Karen posted photos of a selvage key chain that one of her readers had made. Right then and there I knew I had to make one for myself! I found the plastic key tag next to the photo frames at WalMart, added a couple tiny pieces of selvages, a few minutes at the sewing machine, some careful trimming and presto...a unique quilter's key chain!

1 comment:

Barb said...

Now I like this idea, it gives a whole different slant on the use of the *selvage*, and I am guilty of just removing it and tossing it! I don't think I will toss anymore, I will remember to trim in length and then do my projects! Thank you for this posting!

Blog Archive