About Me

My photo
I am a wife, mama and grandmama getting through life by hanging on to a needle and thread.

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Fleece Backing

A friend gave me several yards of blue fleece with the thought that I could use it for backing quilts.  It was a lovely idea!  A fleece backing would make an incredibly warm and cozy quilt, but honestly the thought of putting stretchy fleece on the quilt frame terrified me, so I originally planned to tie the quilts with the fleece backing.  Then I saw a post at Keep Me In Quilts where Mary showed a quilt that she was quilting with a fleece backing, so I quizzed her about it.  Mary assured me that you can use fleece as a backing (with or without batting) with great results as long as you pay attention to how you load the fleece backing on the frame (pin the cut edge to the leaders and selvage edges to the sides) and are careful not to over tighten and stretch the fleece as you are quilting.  It sounded easy enough, so I gave it a try on a charity quilt.  As you can see, it came out beautifully!

3 comments:

QuilterMary said...

It certainly did turn out beautiful! Thanks for the shout out.

Needled Mom said...

It looks fabulous!

Jean(ie) said...

oooh, I bet that will be a soft, comfy-cozy quilt... makes me want to wrap myself up in that!

Blog Archive