About Me

My photo
I am a wife, mama and grandmama getting through life by hanging on to a needle and thread.

Monday, January 3, 2011

Lucky Charms

What happens when you mix three generations of knitters/crocheters and more than a few packages of  KoolAid for a week?  You guessed it...lots and lots of yarn dyeing!  I believe we dyed 6 or 7 skeins of yarn over our Christmas vacation!  We used all sorts of color combinations and tried several different techniques too.  We found a stove-top method for self-striping yarn at Streets and YOs that worked especially well!  I used Lemon Lime, Strawberry, Lemonade and Pink Lemonade for this skein which my daughter-in-law appropriately named "Lucky Charms".  Now to figure out the perfect project to make with it!

5 comments:

Jackie's Stitches said...

I haven't dyed yarn in a while (nor have I knit with any) and I need to get back to it. It's so much fun! I can see how I would accumulate hand dyed yarn faster than I could knit it!

Dora, the Quilter said...

I love your yarn! I've dyed fabric and embroidery floss for years but haven't dyed wool, thinking I didn't want to have to learn the whole acid-dye thing (or purchase the supplies, one or the other). But Kool-aid dying--might just have to try that! I'd better finish a couple of pairs of socks that are going slowly first.
How fun to have family members or friends who enjoy needlecrafts to dye with!

Rafael's Mum said...

That looks so great! and the perfect name for it too!!

Diane said...

that is sure cool looking!

Amy said...

such pretty colors, Love the Lucky Charms name!

Blog Archive