About Me

My photo
I am a wife, mama and grandmama getting through life by hanging on to a needle and thread.

Friday, April 29, 2016

Gauge?

Usually I just throw caution to the wind when I start a new knitting project and don't bother with checking the gauge, but because I am using a different yarn than the pattern calls for I thought I better take the time to knit a swatch or two.  Hopefully the extra time it takes to check the gauge will pay off in the end.  Question for you knitters...do you check your gauge before starting a project?

5 comments:

Gypsy Quilter said...

That's a pretty blue.

Lane said...

Like you, when I'm not familiar with the yarn, I do try to check the gauge. I learned my lesson from a couple pair of socks that were too big to wear and have been balled back up for another try. Oops! Be well! Lane

Jackie's Stitches said...

For me it depends on the project. If the finished size matters then I do. If not, I just make sure that I like the fabric. I'm typically a tighter knitter so it's not unusual for me to need to go up a size to get gauge. Once you get a feel for what you typically need to do to get gauge, it gets easier.

Dora, the Quilter said...

I check if the finished size will matter--It's not unusual for me to have to change to a needle two sizes smaller--and I'm not even a tight knitter.

Needled Mom said...

I have to admit that I really don't. ;-( That looks beautiful so far.

Blog Archive