About Me

My photo
I am a wife, mama and grandmama getting through life by hanging on to a needle and thread.

Monday, January 12, 2015

Special Table Toppers

After my dad passed away I saved his cotton shirts with the intention of making quilts for everyone in the family with them.  It took me 7 years to get the strength to cut into those shirts, but I have to say the process has been a good one.  Rather than a quilt, I decided on a table topper for my mom.  My dad spent a great deal of time sitting at the kitchen table reading the newspaper and drinking coffee, so a table topper seemed quite appropriate.  The only trouble was with my math...I made the topper 36" square, but I should have made it 36" from corner to corner so that it could be centered on the table without draping over the edge.  I realized my mistake after it was finished, so I made another runner the same size as the one that my mom had been using.  I gave her both for Christmas and now she has the option to use either as she wishes.




6 comments:

Terry said...

Your toppers are both beautiful! :0)

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

beautiful, I love those plaids and stripes!

Needled Mom said...

That is the sweetest gift and I am sure she loves both of them. They are so pretty.

quiltsathome said...

What a lovely gift ! i think it made your mother very happy.

Gypsy Quilter said...

What a wonderful, heartfelt gift. Your dad would be so delighted. Thanks for sharing.

Deb said...

Lovely memories for everyday.

Blog Archive