About Me

My photo
I am a wife, mama and grandmama getting through life by hanging on to a needle and thread.

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Grandma's Icebox Cookies

My grandma always put big chunks of walnuts in her icebox cookies and with a cold glass of milk...there wasn't a better treat!  Unfortunately my family refuses to eat breads, cakes or cookies that contain nuts, so I usually choose to omit them when I am baking.  That strategy works fine with most recipes, but these cookies were just a little too bland without the nuts and needed something extra...toffee bits were the answer!

Grandma's Icebox Cookies

1/2 cup shortening
1 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
2 cups flour
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (or Heath toffee bits)

Cream shortening and brown sugar thoroughly; add egg and vanilla. Stir in flour, baking soda and cream of tartar.  Add chopped walnuts (or toffee bits if your family refuses to eat nuts like mine does). Turn dough onto lightly floured board and shape into oblong roll about 3 inches in diameter. Wrap the roll with waxed paper and put in icebox overnight, or until thoroughly chilled. When ready to bake, slice cookies 1/4 inch thick, and bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.

7 comments:

jovaliquilts said...

I put nuts into everything I can, so I understand how hard it must be to omit them. But toffee bits -- well, those are delicious, too!

Anonymous said...

yummy sounding... I would also try candied ginger...

Phyllis said...

These sound really good....and easy. I'll definitely be making some soon - maybe tonight :) Thanks for the recipe!

Gypsy Quilter said...

Ohhh YUMM! I'm going to have to try these.

Dora, the Quilter said...

Those sound like my mom's ice box cookies--she used pecans.
Don't remember the cream of tartar,however.
I must try these. Icebox cookies are so wonderful because I can pop a few on the silpat when I bake supper in a Flexipan--and, then, my daughter and I will stop when we should!

Anya said...

Toffee bits are good in anything...we like them in Rice Krispie treats!

AnnieO said...

My Grandma made these too! She always had freshly made cookies in her cookie jar.

I have to bring a dessert to Bunco this week and the toffee bits version sounds divine! Thanks for sharing.

Blog Archive