About Me

My photo
I am a wife, mama and grandmama getting through life by hanging on to a needle and thread.

Monday, December 6, 2010

Another Kool-Aid Experiment

For this dye session I used a skein of "I Love This Wool" in Winter White from Hobby Lobby.  It is a blend of 93% wool and 7% polyamide (a type of nylon) and according to the label it is machine washable.  I had a 40% off coupon, so I thought it would be worth a try to see how it would accept Kool-Aid dye.  I used Blastin' Cherry Berry, Pink Lemonade and Black Cherry Kool-Aid and as you can see the yarn preformed well through the dyeing process.  I do have to wonder how it will wash once knitted though.  Even though the label clearly shows that it can be machine washed and dried, on the inside of the label is a pattern for a felted bag that uses "I Love This Wool" yarn. (???)  I think it will be a good idea to hand wash whatever I decide to make with my new variegated red yarn!

4 comments:

Gypsy Quilter said...

What a great color!

Dena said...

Love the color! Your method of using Kool-Aid for dying reminded me of how my daughters and their friends used Kool-Aid and Jello to dye their hair when they were in middle school. I didn't mind it so much because it did eventually wash out. But, it dyed everything else too! LOL

Anonymous said...

The color looks good. Are you going to soak in a water-white vinegar solution to set the color? I've also heard of anthropol to set the color.

Knit Purl Gurl said...

Your yarn turned out gorgeous!!!!

Blog Archive