About Me

My photo
I am a wife, mama and grandmama getting through life by hanging on to a needle and thread.

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Maple Walnut Bars

I made these for a gathering a couple of weeks ago and everyone asked how come I had never shared them with everyone before.  I guess I tend to overlook my bar recipes in favor of cookies.  Time for a change!

Maple Walnut Bars

1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup real maple syrup
1 egg
2/3 cup flour
1/2 reaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup quick oats
1 cup chopped walnuts

In a mixing bowl, cream sugar and shortening. Add maple syrup, vanilla and egg; mix well.  Combine flour and baking powder; add to creamed mixture.  Stir in oats and walnuts.  Pour into a greased 9" square baking pan.  Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes.  Cool.  Cut into squares and drizzle with Maple Glaze.

Maple Glaze

1 cup powdered sugar
2 Tablespoons real maple syrup
1 Tablespoon milk

Combine powdered sugar, syrup, and milk in a small bowl; stir with a whisk until smooth. Drizzle glaze over cut bars.

3 comments:

~Laurie~ said...

These look delicious and easy enough! Just have to get some real maple syrup - a commodity down here in Texas ;)

Madalene Axford Murphy said...

A good candidate for dessert tomorrow night!

Catherine said...

Oh yum! Thanks for sharing this recipe. One of my favourite recipes is for Maple walnut Muffins so I'll definitely be trying out your bar recipe on my next baking day!

Blog Archive